Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Artist Two: BANKSY

BANKSY

"Cardinal Sin", 2011

Not much is known about UK-centered street artist Banksy. He is a mischievous anonymous critter who's works intend to provoke thought or disgust, and are provocative in nature. He works with animatronics, spray paint and stencil, plaster, live animals, taxidermy, fabrics and blow-up dolls--and that's barely scratching the surface.

Banksy has been one of my favorite artists--if not my favorite--for almost five years. I like how he thinks different about the "vandalism" aspect of street art. He recreates famous paintings and sculptures with his own ideas about today's societal norms and installs his work pretty much anywhere (see the second video above for an example at Disney World, which was only left up for about an hour).

Banksy's responsible for some of my favorite quotes about art and life, including:

"People say graffiti is ugly, irresponsible and childish. But that's only if it's done properly."
"Think from outside the box, collapse the box and take a fucking knife to it."
"You can win the rat race but you're still a rat."

Although one of my favorite concepts of his was a gigantic live elephant painted to look like a gallery's wallpaper, the fact that he spray-paints on live animals is a bit disconcerting to me. All in the name of vandalism, I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorites that comes up year after year. This work to me - ell personally, I think his sculptural work is a lot more daring. Personal love for the crawling "bumm-ed out phonebooth"

    ReplyDelete