Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Artist Six: Dalton Ghetti

Dalton Ghetti, the tiny, tiny maniac.
I don't mean that HE is tiny. I mean his work is tiny. Seriously. How tiny?

This guy works on the tips of pencils. No, he CARVES the tips of pencils.
SERIOUSLY WHO DOES THIS

Originally from Brazil, Dalton Ghetti is a fifty-something carpenter who makes tiny tiny tiny tiny art pieces carved out of the tips of graphite sticking out of the end of pencils. He's been making these for over 25 years, starting when he was in high school, making gifts for friends out of pencils. He uses a razor blade, a sewing needle and a sculpting knife. He lives in Connecticut.



Most of his sculpts (which he doesn't ever use a magnifying class for!) take a few months, but one of his pieces--an interlocking chain--took two years.

look at this freaking shoe

Why do I like Ghetti's work? WHY NOT? He's dedicated to a craft that not many people can do, but that many people can appreciate. I have seen Ghetti's work so many times over the years in chain emails and web posts and such, and now I can attribute his works to his name. I wish there was more of a hullaballoo over how intricately detailed and tiny his pieces are. I'd love to see one up close. Not touch it, though. I'd break it.


No comments:

Post a Comment