Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Artist Research 01 - Koshi Kawachi - Manga Farms



Alright so Koshi here is a pretty interesting guy.  Not only does he do three dimensional work but he also photographs and paints as well. A lot of his work is very quirky and fun. He often makes references to other artists or iconic figures in his pieces. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not but when looking over his stuff he often times makes references to the afterlife, such as reusing old materials for creating something new, the impracticalities of preserving and idolizing objects and such. At least that's what I get out of it. It could be he just likes to make sculptures out of his favourite comics and foods!



http://www.dvice.com/sites/dvice/files/styles/media_gallery_image/public/images/manga_farming_6.jpg

Manga Farms
This is the piece I first heard about by him. Basically you plant seeds inside the pages and water it daily so that the plant can grow. It's like an environmentally friendly chia pet!


http://www.spoon-tamago.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/EmbalmingPotatoChips.jpg 
Embalming(Potato Chip)
This really amused me just because of how absurd it it. What are you doing embalming a potato chip!? I'm really curious as to how this chip will last as the years go by.

http://file.egaonokaisuu.blog.shinobi.jp/GW-01010.jpg うまい仏 Tasty Buddh
うまい仏 Tasty Buddha
Whenever I look at this piece I always get hungry. I have no idea if that's what his intention was, but it amuses me that he chose to use such an iconic and serene figure to carve out of Japanese snacks. I really just want to eat them all, but that's probably not a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment