Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Kyle Bean


This guy has to be one of the coolest designers ever. He does a variety of art including design, sculpture, book covers, basically anything design related. He is based in England. He does freelance work right now because he's only a year out of graduate school. His sculptures for Selfridges department store are freaking awesome. Here is a little description I found on the internet about these sculptures.

"Brighton UK based sculptor and model maker Kyle Bean has installed sculptures in five windows of the London Selfridges department store that show striking examples of the law of conservation of mass. For a little science refresh, the law states that mass in a closed system will remain constant over time or in balance. Each of the installations consists of two like objects suspended from a scale. The objects have either been altered or deconstructed to show that the difference in form doesn’t translate to a difference in weight." - psfk.com

Now for some epic pictures of these sculptures. 











































Once I post some of his other work you'll realize immediately why I like him. I don't really know how to explain it. He's just so good at what he does. We have a lot of the same ideas when it comes to advertising and sculpture. He takes everyday items and changes them so you get a different look at it. I think thats a good way to look at design. Like one of my friends who is in a band was giving out cds for free. He wanted to get rid of them because he had thousands. So when someone would say they didn't want one he'd stop them and say "You can use it as a coaster!" Being able to look at a product like that can be really useful in advertising. Not all of his work is like that but I've found some that show that pretty well. I also found a few that are just fun to look at. So now I will flood this blog with more pictures.






























































And of course, he dables in film and animation.  I didn't even know until I found some short little stop animation things he's done on vimeo. If you don't know, I'm a film major.





So there ya go. I hope you enjoy his work. He's pretty awesome in my book.
You can visit his website here

-Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment