Sunday, January 23, 2011

Salvador Dali’s -- Aphrodisiac Telephone

Posted for Molly

Salvador Dali’s   -- Aphrodisiac Telephone

Salvador Dali was born on May 11th, 1939 as “Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech, Marquis of Dalí de Púbol in the town of Figueres, in the Empordà region, close to the French border in Catalonia, Spain”. Dali was best known for his surrealist artwork which gained attention because of its odd or bizarre subject matter. He was thought to be influenced by painters of the Renaissance era, but he also worked in sculpture, film, and photography. Although, he is best known for his painting The Persistence of Memory.  Dali died on January 23rd 1989 at the age of 83.




Aphrodisiac Telephone, 1936
Medium: Working Telephone and Plaster Lobster

This piece was thought to be made as a sexual commentary. The lobster’s penis was intentionally lined up perfectly with where the speaker’s mouth would be when using the phone.
Dali was an eccentric person who created works and did things that commanded attention from his viewers. This piece is likely a prime example of that. It was common at this time to make sexual references through food, which is another possible inspiration here.

My reaction: I was simply struck by the obvious: It’s a lobster phone. It made me stop and wonder why it existed. I’d like one of these for my house, even though I now know that it is possibly a sexual commentary… I still find it hilarious. The fact that the lobster looks as though it belongs on that telephone is the best part for me. Dali portrayed it as though it was an every day occurrence, not an oddity that was to be stopped and started at. I’d still like to know WHAT the sexual reference is (aside from giving oral to a lobster) but I’m content with what I know for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment