“I see little of more importance to the future of our country and our civilization than full recognition of the place of the artist. If art is to nourish the roots of our cultures, society must set the artists free to follow his vision wherever it takes him
Where Power corrupts, poetry cleanses.”
- John F. Kennedy honoring Robert Frost. Oct. 26, 1963
- (Seldes. ‘The Great Thoughts’. Pg 249)
TEXT BOOK CREATION
Research on other 3-D artist’s work.
The ideas is to find a sculptor, furniture designer, product designer, craft artist, installation artist, earthworks artists, graffiti artists that is interacting specifically with the 3D aspect of what they spray-painting on (this takes a little work – so not as easy as it sounds), toy designer etc…. that you find interesting. (* Someone you actually want to know about his or her work.)
• 20 minutes to 1 hour of work - for each Artist / Designer = 6 total
ATTACH THE FOLLOWING IN YOUR 3-D PROCESS BOOK
You can post images and your findings on the blog:
a) Name of the artist you chose and images (plural) of their work. Some work you like, and then an image or 2 of work that you don’t like of their work.
b) Dates of the work, title and mediums.
c) Artist’s bio information: the who, what, where, when – birth and death, artist’s nationality, pivotal moments in that artist’s life. You can actually skimp on this part. I’m just more interested in the - When did they make the work / where were they from?
d) One event in history that was happening the same time / year as this work was created. This way you know the cultural influence – conditions – a pivotal moment in the artists’ life / social subconscious that was in the background effecting the artist’s subconscious as well. Does it affect the content of the work?
e) What is this work about?
f) What do you think of this work? ß This is the most interesting part and people skip this so much. Trust me, this is really my favorite part. Love it, hate it, I just want to know what YOU think.
g) Site your sources you looked at.
When is this Due?
• This will be checked in class randomly, and turned in (and returned to you) at mid-semester and at the end of the semester. (*See your syllabus) - or on line when posted
• I expect that you work on these as we start a new material à But once you have 6 Artists / Designers completed, you are finished and are welcome to turn this portion of the course in early. Any that you do beyond the 6 will count for extra credit.
You should have 6 - 3D Artists researched at the end of the semester. – and if everyone uses the blog – we could have over 100 different artists ad designers to draw from and be inspired by!